My Dog Ate Weed Ashs! What to Do?

If a dog eats weed ash, it can experience a range of symptoms from mild to severe. Dogs are known to eat all kinds of things, and unfortunately, sometimes they can get into substances that are harmful to their health.

The consumption of weed ash by a dog may result in intoxication due to the presence of THC, the psychoactive compound in marijuana. Symptoms of a dog eating weed can include lethargy, disorientation, excessive drooling, dilated pupils, and unsteady movements. It is important to note that the severity of these symptoms can vary depending on the amount of ash ingested and the size of the dog.

If your dog has ingested weed ash and is exhibiting signs of intoxication, it is crucial to seek veterinary assistance immediately. The veterinarian will be able to assess the situation and provide appropriate treatment to ensure the well-being of your furry friend.

It is also important to inform the veterinarian about the ingestion of weed ash, as this information can help them make an accurate diagnosis.

My Dog Ate Weed Ashs! What to Do?

In some cases, the effects of ingesting weed ash may subside within a few hours, but it can also last for a longer duration. The duration of the effects can depend on various factors, including the amount ingested and the metabolism of the dog. It is always better to err on the side of caution and consult a professional.

Prevention is key to avoiding such situations. It is crucial to keep marijuana and related products securely stored away from pets to prevent accidental ingestion.

It is recommended to keep a close eye on your dog during walks or visits to areas where marijuana usage may be prevalent, to minimize the risk of them coming into contact with weed ash or other marijuana products.

Remember, if your dog has ingested weed ash or any other potentially harmful substances, it is best to seek immediate veterinary assistance to ensure their safety and well-being.

How Does Weed Ash Affect Dogs?

Weed ash, the residual byproduct of smoked cannabis, can have adverse effects on dogs if ingested. Dogs have a more sensitive endocannabinoid system than humans, making them more susceptible to the psychoactive effects of THC, the primary active compound in cannabis.

Ingesting weed ash can lead to symptoms such as lethargy, loss of balance, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and even coma in severe cases. The severity of these symptoms depends on the amount of weed ash consumed and the size of the dog.

Smaller dogs are at a higher risk of experiencing severe symptoms due to their lower body weight. It is crucial to monitor your dog closely if you suspect they have ingested weed ash and seek veterinary assistance if necessary.

What To Do If Your Dog Eats Weed Ash?

In the event that your dog consumes weed ash, it is essential to remain calm and take immediate action. First, assess your dog’s condition and look for any signs of distress or discomfort.

If your dog exhibits any of the aforementioned symptoms, contact your veterinarian or an emergency animal clinic right away. Provide them with information about the amount of weed ash ingested and any symptoms your dog is experiencing.

While waiting for professional help, keep your dog comfortable and hydrated. Offer them water, but avoid giving them food, as it may exacerbate their symptoms.

Do not attempt to induce vomiting unless instructed to do so by a veterinarian, as this can cause further harm. Follow any advice given by the veterinarian and be prepared to transport your dog to the clinic if necessary.

Learn More: What To Do With Fire Pit Ashes: A Disposal Thought & Solutions

Preventing Your Dog From Eating Weed Ash

To ensure your dog’s safety, it is vital to take preventive measures against weed ash ingestion. Store all cannabis products, including ashtrays and smoking paraphernalia, in secure, out-of-reach locations. Regularly clean and dispose of weed ash to minimize the risk of accidental ingestion.

Educate family members and guests about the dangers of weed ash to dogs and request their cooperation in keeping these items away from your pet.

To secure cannabis products, train your dog to avoid consuming foreign objects. Teaching the “leave it” command can be an effective way to prevent your dog from ingesting potentially harmful substances.

Regularly monitor your dog, especially during outdoor walks or when in unfamiliar environments, to ensure they do not come into contact with weed ash or other hazardous materials. By taking these precautions, you can protect your dog’s health and well-being.

Read More: Is Charcoal Ash Good for Plants?


After analyzing the various potential consequences of a dog eating weed ash, it is clear that this is a serious issue that pet owners must avoid. While the initial signs may seem harmless, the long-term impacts of weed ash ingestion can be detrimental to a dog’s health.

Some of the more severe side effects include respiratory problems, seizures, and even comas. To dodge these severe impacts, pet owners need to ensure that they keep their dogs away from any weed ash. If their dog has ingested it, the best course of action is to contact their veterinarian immediately.

Although treatment options may be available, prevention remains the most crucial step in keeping their dogs safe and healthy. Always keep an eye out for your furry friend and keep them away from weed ash as if their life depends on it- because it just might.